It seems like every day I read about how government wastes money so I thought I would record them. Since I began this blog, I have been stunned by the amount of waste, fraud, and mismanagement I have found. I recognize that some government is necessary for any society to exist but without the "profit incentive" that we have in private enterprise, government continues to grow like a cancer and along with it the potential for abuse. If you ever needed a reason to limit government, just read some of the following posts.

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Another Bridge To Nowhere

More than ten percent of the bridges in Dayton, Ohio, are deficient as 13 cars drive over one of Dayton’s 184 deficient bridges every second. Yet, mere miles away from the city, the federal government is spending $520,000 to restore an unused bridge that is not even connected to a road or trail.

Fixing Stevenson Road Covered Bridge in Greene County, Ohio, will cost $650,000. The National Historic Covered Bridge Preservation (NHCBP) program is providing $520,000 and the county is paying $130,000.

Controversy surrounds accepting the federal money “because the bridge is not on a road, is in a fairly remote area, doesn’t carry vehicles anymore, and isn’t tied to any park, tourist attraction or walk/bike trail.”  On one side of the bridge, “No Trespassing signs warn people away.” 

“I don’t know why they would do that, because nobody uses it,” said Dorothy Pitzer, who has lived uphill from the bridge for 40 years. “It sits over there by itself."

No comments:

Post a Comment