It seems like every day I read about how government wastes money so I thought I would record them. Since I began this blog, I have been stunned by the amount of waste, fraud, and mismanagement I have found. I recognize that some government is necessary for any society to exist but without the "profit incentive" that we have in private enterprise, government continues to grow like a cancer and along with it the potential for abuse. If you ever needed a reason to limit government, just read some of the following posts.

Friday, March 8, 2013

Time For Smart Budget Cuts

Here is an excellent article by Senator Tom Coburn on how and why to cut the federal budget. Some excerpts:
  • Since 2002, total federal spending has increased nearly 89% while median household income has dropped 5%
  • If the federal government stopped sending unemployment checks to millionaires, it could save $14.8 million a year (according to IRS data) and prevent 5,103 furloughs
  • But if cabinet secretaries insist on using furloughs, they could start by furloughing employees who already don't bother to show up for work
  • Taxpayers spend $3.1 billion on 209 separate science, technology, engineering and mathematics education programs across 13 agencies

No comments:

Post a Comment